[Public-List] Fitting for cruising Part 1

Richard Mair ramair49 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:49:46 PDT 2010

We'll put it this way - we appreciate the good qualities of the composting
toilet:  it doesn't smell (unless the fan stops working), it is easy to
empty, and the 'solids' only need to be emptied about once a month when
we're living on board (for seasonal/non-liveaboard boaters, we're told it
only needs to be emptied once a season).  But it's not a good alternative
for those who are squeamish.

It works by separating liquids and solids into separate containers.  Liquids
need to be emptied most often, usually about twice a week into the nearest
toilet.  We have a separate container to allow further composting of solids
when at anchor for any length of time, then dispose of it with garbage or
compost depending on the rules/facilities where we are.  At sea, we dump the
compost overboard - we haven't checked recently, but I think you have to be
at least 25 miles offshore to dump.  The toilet we have is called an
Airhead, and is very simply constructed - not much to maintain, another
advantage for us.