[Public-List] Has anyone tried MAS Bio-Solv

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 25 07:01:42 PDT 2010

    Corn starch is a wonderful source for carbon to make new carbon
compounds and it depends upon the work organic and biochemists wants to
put into the breakdown of corn starch to derive end products. It is
quite possible to make acetone (a 3 carbon chain)  from corn starch with
an enzymatic destruction of glucose (6 carbon ring)  into two 3 carbon
units and then derive acetone from that. Great advertizing though if it
gets Californians thinking bio- friendly.
    Generally any good degreaser for surface preparation has two parts
to it , usually on the same molecule and at opposite ends : one part
hydrophyllic and one part lipophyllic, The hydrophyllic end is water (or
solvent soluble ) and the the other end is fat soluble. In this fashion
the one end captures the fat or grease and the other end is captured by
the solvent and so effectively taken away by excess amounts of solvent.
Soap is a case in point. The potasium or phospate on the one end is
water soluble and the fat on the other end captures the grease. Water is
the solvent that takes the molecules away from the surface you want
clean. (Soap is a  product from natural animal fats with 16, 17 or 18
carbon atoms and  detergents are similar in action but from man made
carbon chains of 34, 35 or 36 carbon atoms. Bio-friendly usually means
that there is some bacteria, fungus or other organism that will ingest
or attack the base and use it as an energy source with an ensuing enzyme
reaction to break it down. to be effective, teh necessary bacteria must
be in the vicinity of the product that requires breaking down! So if you
do not have the specific life form nearby, there is not much gain and
most water treatment facilities do not use any biosystems within the
current facilities.  As well, the bacteria may not like the compound
once it has extra adhering to one end! We might  say it tastes bad, but
they may say they cannot manage the size or get to the bond they like to
break.
       You need to figure out what the actual chemical is and what it
becomes with whatever you are trying to clean up attached to it to sort
out whether it  is bio-friendly or not. And then you need to know if the
bacteria or life form is available. The fact they make the product  from
corn starch instead of petroleum is just a matter of language not
particularly bio sources.
    The real crunch is that petroleum based carbon compounds were also
once plant material and so just as "bio-based" as any plant based
chemicals now. The only change is that the petroleum sourced carbon is
being taken out of long term storage and corn starch is taken out of a
short term storage. The sad part  is that chemists have made things like
benzene rings from naturally occurring 6 carbon rings with no concept of
anything but construction,  and unfortunately benzene rings and many
other organic chemical compounds are neither bio-destructible nor easily
destructible by other man made systems.  (The use of this term
"organic"  for most chemists means only that they are compounds that
contain carbon. As an aside, this is one of the real problems of
language with "organic" food products)
    You will find that acetone (or any other liquid that evaporates very
quickly) works better if you use about a 25:75 % water to acetone
miscible solution . Acetone will not do much of a job on particulate
matter (aluminum oxide from abrasives for instance)  because the acetone
evaporates so fast and leaves the particles where water will tend to
adhere to particles and using the adhesive and cohesive  forces from
the  water molecule will remove the particles on your cloth as well as
the greases with the acetone.
    The other fact is that only plants can fix carbon from CO2. Any
carbon based product we (and any other life form)  make in our bodies we
need to do so from ingested carbon compounds and subsequent biochemical
breakdowns.
While this does not answer your question specifically, it might help
with some background information so that you can decide what you really
want to know.
Don