[Public-List] Main sail modification?

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Sun Oct 31 15:14:22 PDT 2010

I am a huge fan of the working jib. You are planning a long trip where you will
undoubtedly have heavy weather for days on end at some point. if you need to be
working the boat upwind in 20+ knots, the workling jib is criticial. The boat is
balanced, and much smoother in her motion - much less stress on all the
hardware, and on the people in the boat.

I would say the working jib would be the sail in wind lighter than 20 - say 15
knots if the waves are really high / steep. I once saw an Alberg close hauled
with a full main and a working jib working upwind towards St Lucia in typical
trade wind weather - 15 - 20. It was a perfect day, but the bow of that boat was
in the air at the top of the waves and buried in the water at the bottom. You
want a high cut headsail that will not scoop up the water in weather like that,
and one that is not overpowering the boat in the gusts, and making it hard to
steer. I remember feeling sorry for the guy, as we were going downwind in a
larger chartered boat, and things were much more settled.

Did you see Yves Gelinas' video? He sailed from France to the Cape with what
looked like two working jibs poled out wing and wing - he had twin headstays.

I agree with all of the comments on the mainsail. A nice mainsail makes all the
difference. You are reefing way too early. You should be able to carry a large
(170) jib and full main to somewhere between 15 and 20 knots - depending on how
aggressively you want to sail the boat.

My two cents - keep up posted on the planning. I look forward to hearing how
things go. Are you on Facebook? Kirk Little and his Alberg are in Thailand now
(http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=509983750). He would
probably have some comments on this thread.

Jonathan
197