[Public-List] Main sail modification?

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 18:11:58 PDT 2010

Bruno & Elyse,
My understanding is that the largish A30's mainsail results in needing a 1st reef rather early, even with a new sail.  This has been our experience with a new mainsail.  Apparently the current rather large mainsail resulted from comments on Carl Alberg's first drawings of a "30' Folkboat", in light of light winds on Lake Ontario, so he lengthened the boom (not sure by how much), resulting in a boat that others labeled a tender boat.  So a little less sail area, e.g., less roach (full battens apparently still help sail shape) or shorter foot might not be such a bad thing -- but then you do race some, don't you...

A30 "Grayling" in Midland was for sale it 2008.  It was fitted with a Dragon mainsail whose foot is about 4' shorter than the boom.   Grayling's owner told me that the reduced sail area did not affect speed as far as he could tell, and did not require that first reef to be put is so soon.  I may have pictures of Grayling somewhere here...

Cheers,
David  #319
P.s.: Altoids makes a snappy ginger candy.