[Public-List] Genoa downhauls

Ross Horton rosshorton at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 07:40:15 PDT 2010

Good evening,

George mentioned in a recent post that he uses a downhaul tied to the top
hank on his genoa to allow for single handed sail handling so this question
might best be answered by him.  However I am also interested in hearing if
others are using genoa downhauls.

What I am wondering is how the downhaul line is directed down to the
foredeck and where it goes from there?  Does the line hang free from the top
hank or is it led through other hanks on the way down?  Is it routed back to
the cockpit or to the base of the mast?  In my case I envisage threading the
downhaul through a block at the base of the forestay and then running the
line back to the cockpit so that my crew can haul on the downhaul while I'm
dealing with the halyard and the sail on the foredeck.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh,

I single hand a lot and also use a genoa downhaul tied to first hank which
then runs free to a block shackled to the head stay fitting then through a
couple of blocks attached to stanchion bases to a cam cleat on the port side
of the cabin top near the deck.  After the sail is raised, the downhaul is
tightened enough to keep it from flapping and I have never had it foul (at
least yet).  When dropping the genoa I backwind it a bit with the sheet
tight, release the halyard and it mostly falls to the deck by itself.  To
the extent that it needs assistance to drop quickly I haul in on the
downhaul.  Once down, I cleat the downhaul to keep the sail from filling.

Ross Horton
Delphi 40