[Public-List] Heaving-to an Alberg

Paul Cheney paulcheney at me.com
Sat Sep 4 04:20:55 PDT 2010

I was caught.. actually no.. went out in bad weather and attempted to travel a short distance into the wind a few weeks ago.. why?  Someone had the nerve ( that must translate into common sense in some language ) to tell me I could not.  Anyway I did it, it was good practice, I hove to several times bathroom, coffee then finally to open a bottle of wine, I figured the boat was taking a good smashing maybe we could work together better if I did as well--> I know.  I had a small jib and my main had two reefs.   I probably went along at about a knot or a little more, the wind was about 30 knots and the waves 2-3 meters.    I have always hove to while solo sailing and sleeping as I have never used self steering - it seems to vary on boat to boat.  My first boat was an Islander 29 and my second a hughes 31, the alberg seems to be the most comfortable and easiest to get under control.

David made a lot of good points, I guess I have just been lucky, my technique is as follows,

Tighten up the head sail, tack without doing anything, tie off the tiller ( tie the tiller to the same side the main sail is trying to go ).

Lin and Larry's video is great, have to watch it a few times - at least I did, helps to make the diagrams along with them.

You can practice this anytime and should its very easy.  In fact I have accomplished this on more than one occasion by accident due to lack of paying attention!

#400 ( name change in progress )

Paul Cheney
paulcheney at me.com
www.360mm.ca