[Public-List] Diesel Help

Tim Adelman TAdelman at hospitallaw.com
Mon Apr 11 10:28:47 PDT 2011

There are two types of compression checks.  For lack of a better description, a dry and wet check.  Essentially, you do a compression check and record the numbers.  Then add a little oil to the cylinders and repeat.  IF the numbers go up, then the decrease in compression is due to space between the piston ring and the cylinder wall.  This will require at least a top end overhaul.

If the number stays the same, then the culprit is likely a valve.  While this still requires attention, it is a lot less expensive.  I would find out if they did both to verify the decrease in compression is P&C related and not valve related.

As for running the engine with low compression, it usually isn't a fatal event.  The engine will just get crappier and crappier over time in terms of starting, idle and power output.  Keep you starting strokes short.  During keep cranking for any one session too long.  Al has a diesel mechanic he has been happy with and is reasonable. I will get the info for you.

p.s. Since you are registered for the WNR in my name, try not to lose the engine at a critical time and hit the Spa Creek bridge.