[Public-List] Diesel tank

Peter Amos p.a.amos at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 03:15:56 PDT 2011

On Tait Tait  478 when I bought her there was a diesel tank under the cockpit sole.O n my first trip across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas the motor died half way across..There was a big swell but no wind or breaking waves. The problem was the tank. It was shaped like a matchbox and lay on its widest side.As the fuel level dropped it sloshed around in the tank  and soon the outlet to the motor sucked air. As soon as possible after I returned to the USA the tank was removed and discarded.I replaced it with an 18 gallon tank made by Tempo that sat in the starboard side cockpit locker on a ledge that is there on liner model boats..The new tank was vertical,imagine a matchbox standing on end.The job was was fiddly but not difficult and the new tank occupied space in the locker that was almost unused previously.I never again had a fuel problem.An additional benefit was that I was able to align the deck fill with the tank fill neck and so was able to dip the tank to check the fuel level.

Pete ex Tait Tait #478