[Public-List] Reversing the A-30

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Apr 3 15:30:39 PDT 2011

I remember the feeling of waiting for the diesel to 'spool up'.   For all
its faults, the old Atomic IV is good for power that right there when you
push the throttle.

I had a weird experience a couple of years ago with a client's boat that was
fitted with an electric auxiliary.  As we came up to the jetty there was no
reassuring rumble of an idling engine as guarantee that there'd be lots of
power in reverse to stop us.  As it turned out there was ample power but
with hardly a whirr or hum.

Just back from a day working on TOUCH WOOD.   This weekend in two days I got
her cast iron keel ground down to nearly smooth and a coat of anti-rust
paint on it; made and fitted two butt blocks and made a third; refastened
the skin planking to two of the floor timbers that are staying in the boat;
sanded the transom back down to beautiful rich red mahogany (it had been
painted) and sanded two of the three pieces the mast is in back down to
snowy sitka spruce (had a nostalgic moment when my sanding revealed the
white oak I'd inlaid to support the fastenings for the gooseneck track
twenty five odd years ago).

Went by SURPRISE to check her over... Removed her winter tarp and am
awaiting the rain which if it comes will comprise her spring cleaning...Came
home filthy but very very happy.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 03/04/11 4:54 PM, "Richard Mair" <ramair49 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> then give her a burp ahead - remember the helm is still hard over causeing
>> the prop wash to shove the bow to port again.  She'll start moving forward
>> but before she gets much way on, go into reverse and stun her again.
>>  She'll
>> swing faster.  Do this a couple or a few times and the boat will be halted
>> with regard to way through the water, but will be swinging.  Once she has
>> nearly done her 180, give her a little reverse helm and slow ahead...
>> She'll
>> gently stop swinging and slowly slide forward into the space.
>>
>> I appreciate this may be unclear when one is not watching it being done...
>> But I recommend people try it out in open water on a quiet day.
>>
>> The reason we can do this better than most fin keeled yachts is because the
>> prop wash plays directly upon the rudder.  The cut out and the rudder
>> position in our boats is about perfect to direct the prop wash as a jet of
>> water shoving the stern forward or aft.  The A30's relatively great weight
>> imparts great momentum.... The prop wash will tend to spin the boat before
>> it starts it moving ahead or astern.
>>
>> Back to reversing.... Imagine the boat doing 1.5 or 2 knots astern backing
>> down a channel.  The prop walk, the wind or whatever starts her tending off
>> course.  You know the rudder won't do anything so you krank the helm over
>> full in the direction you want the bow to swing... And burp a lot of power
>> just for a second, in forward.  The boat will slow... But so long as you
>> judge the amount of power correctly she won't stop, and you'll have shoved
>> the stern back into line and you can burp in reverse to keep her moving.
>> Obviously one can't do this too many times in a row or she will stop... But
>> that's good, because now you can spin her and finish the passage out in
>> forward.
>>
>> In a cross wind, you'd be better off spinning as described above and then
>> motoring out normally because nothing will prevent the bow from falling
>> away
>> from the wind.
>>
>> Sorry this is so Long and I hope it makes sense.
>>
>> Gord #426 SURPRISE
>>

>> On 03/04/11 8:18 AM, "Greg Bover" <gregbover at cbfisk.com> wrote:
>>
>>> <<<<<<I've heard of that sort of thing.  My feeling is that full keeled
>>> yachts are
>>> 'less maneauvreable' than fin keeled yachts only when they are handled by
>>> sailors who aren't used to them.   Any full keeled yacht with a prop in
>> an
>>> aperture can be made to spin in its own length by use of rudder and
>> engine.
>>> Fin keeled yachts have made people lazy and forget how to handle their
>>> boats.
>>> Do I sound like I'm getting on a high horse?  I guess so! Sorry.
>>> Gord<<<<<<
>>>
>>> All right, Gord, I'll admit it. I can't back up Linnet worth a damn. Care
>>> expand on your comment with some instruction?

>>> 978 283 1909