[Public-List] Axillary power

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 13:25:33 PDT 2011

Hello Bart,

I gather you will be using the boat in your sea scout program?  if so I highly recommend a diesel repower.  the maintenance is next to nothing compared to a gas engine, and the dependability and longevity of a diesel is substantially longer than similar size gas engines.  You might try advertising for a marine diesel donation in the  local sailing magazine  or watch for a used $500 repower out of some guys boat- then ask him to donate to a good cause for the tax write-off.

if you put a Raycor filter between the fuel tank and the engine, you can forget about fuel contamination.

also having no gas on board is a huge safety improvement, particularly when working with teenage crews who likely will get involved in  boat  maintenance or repair from time to time.  You will never need to worry about somebody inadvertently casing a gas spill with explosive gas fumes building up in the bilge with 5 or 6 kids on board.

final argument "for" a diesel, is that you will be giving the sea scouts valuable,  real life learning experience with a marine diesel, which will contribute substantially to their mechanical awareness and seamanship development.

there is plenty of room to repower with a small marine diesel.  I would say go for it, and the diesel will pay for itself over and over.

Yours in Scouting!

Glenn Brooks
Dolce US 319

Sent from my iPad