[Public-List] Insurance and Albergs

David Glotfelty glotfeltys at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 07:39:46 PDT 2011

Good Morning Fellow Alberg Owners,

Well I just finishing buying boat 412 (1971) from Tom S here on the list.  I went to Kentucky to see it - fell in love and convinced him to trailer it here for sale.  He and a friend did a great job getting it up here (Flag Harbor).

Now I'm starting to get a little tight. The amounts I allocated, for transport, USCG transfer, a years slip, state taxes, and bottom painting are paid. My son and I got the bottom painted with two coats of Micron CSC and she is looking good.  I'm told I need insurance by the marina which is fine - Boat US quotes $334 for the Chesapeake but now - Boat US wants a new marine survey.  I tried Allstate as Tom had insurance with them but they would not insure a boat that old.  Hey coming from a 52 year old - forty is not that old!

Anyway the marine surveyor in my area wants $450 for a survey ($15 per ft) and just broke an appointment for tomorrow morning.  So I'm out a days leave as well.  I won't name names with the guilty party but when I break an appointment with less then a days notice - well what's new there eh?   Even the cable guy does it. Anyway, US Boat has a liability only coverage but even then wants a survey.

So any recommendations?  Reasonable surveys?  Good insurers?  Somebody that is all in one?

Thanks - if I'm solvent enough after all this my next check will be to join the Association.

Dave Glotfelty (and son Kevin)
owners of Shadowfax  BRANDYWINE, MD
( As soon as the USCG sends back the docs & makes it official - Hull 412.  Feel free to add to the spreadsheet )

PS - Thanks for all the good paint advice too!