[Public-List] Replace Icebox Insulation?

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Tue Aug 2 12:05:09 PDT 2011

Bob,

I added 1" of blue foam to the interior of the ice box simply by gluing
in place with Gorilla Glue.  I would like to have added even more, but
did not want to lose TOO much of the ice box volume.

Over the foam, I glued in place pieces of luan to give some 'protection'
to the foam.  Gaps were filled with expanding foam.  The luan was
'painted' with resin.  One layer of 6 oz glass cloth set with epoxy and
paint to finish.

I never really tested the ice box before adding extra insulation, but we
have kept 3 six quart blocks of ice for over a week in 95+ degree days.
A big part of getting the ice to last is to limit how often you open the
box...once per day is a rule of thumb (in the morning taking out
everything needed for that day and putting into a small cooler), though
with the children, that's hard to put into practice.  :)