[Public-List] Ignition problem?

moiraeiii at aol.com moiraeiii at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 07:06:48 PDT 2011

Jacques,
Last year I ran into an interesting problem with an Atomic 4 not firing although all the conditions were met, or so it seemed.
Cutting right to the chase, although the point gap was set correctly, the shaft (axle) of the points was not seated in the hole of the breaker plate, but was adjacent to it and the base of the points assembly was bent when the screw was tightened. The 'fix' was to flatten the points assembly base with 'duck bill' pliers and re-assemble and adjust the point gap. Simple fix, but it took many hours to finally figure it out.
On another occasion, the points on an outboard engine were gaped correctly and looked good to the eye, but would not spark repeatedly due to some oxidation, invisible to the naked eye, on  the surface of the contacts.
Bottom line, change the points, even though they look o.k.

Randy #283