[Public-List] hole free deck cleats

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Mon Dec 5 05:56:29 PST 2011

Rachel wrote:

> I like the design where stanchion bases, chainplate top plates, etc. have little molded "hills" they sit on, on deck.  Keeps nuisance water from just sitting there.  I think if I had another boat without them, I would add them (molded, or routed from G-10 or similar).

Yep, this is what I am doing to pretty much all deck mounted hardware.
I laid up six layers of 6 oz cloth in epoxy and cut out little 'pads'
just slightly larger than the mounting points of the various hardward
(which includes pulpit bases, cleats - the foredeck cleats were replaced
with 12" Herreschoff's, wood grab rails, stanchion bases, etc).  Six
layers is not very thick, about 3/32" or so, but will serve the purpose.

On the stanchion bases, I had to take the extra step of glassing in the
little depressions molded into the deck.  That was the first step.

Here are some pictures of this project in progress for anyone interested:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,1192.msg37605.html#msg37605

Somewhere I think I have some pictures of the foredeck cleats with the
pads in place, glassed in and painted; since they are glassed in, the
riser pads are 'integral' with the deck.  The cleats (or whatever)
bedding is a 'high spot' where water cannot linger...

I *think* this is the method a lot of guys over at classic-plastic are
using on old (CCA era) glass boat restorations.

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea