[Public-List] mainsail outhaul travel

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Dec 7 10:20:41 PST 2011

Good day

The screw out haul is powerful; but impossible to adjust while sailing which makes it a bit useless.

With regard to tackle; that can be made to work but I'd suggest 4:1 isn't enough particularly for a loose footed main.    Because you will have to struggle to control excessive bag in the foot of the sail in addition to the fine tuning you'll want; you will have to develop a system that combined long travel with power.  I think you may find 6:1 is minimum.

The good news is that with tackle its dead easy to run the tail up to the gooseneck end of the boom do you can adjust it on any point of sail.

Gord #426 Surprise