[Public-List] Blown out sails OK for crusing

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 06:05:40 PST 2011

Bill,

I made the original post strictly from the point of view of less stress on the boat, skipper and crew and more pleasure in being able to trim properly to achieve balance, drive with less heel. I guess this also equates to boat speed, but that was not my focus with the post. I am always thinking about ideas to improve my knowledge and skills to sail my boat from point A to point B with less fatugue on both the boat and personnel aboard. For instance I don't subscribe to the adage 'no pain no gain' when it comes to sailing. Some sailors believe that more power is more speed.  An overpowered boat trying to beat to windward all the while not pointing well and beating up the boat and crew doesn't make sense to me when a boat with less canvas up trimmed properly can walk right by the overpowered boat in more comfort for both the boat and crew.

I guess I don't understand folks trying to sell sails which are no good for racing but considered OK for cruising or day-sailing when in fact those sails are no good for any type of sailing. If a skipper wishes to have good trim, pointing ability and boat speed for racing why wouldn't they want it for cruising and day-sailing as well?  The extra value I am realizing now is that it is also easier on the boat and rig. My good boat takes me out to sea and back again..............I want to do all I can to take care of her.

This doesn't mean new sails every year. But what comes to me is that skippers trying to get another 5 years out of a suit of 12 year old sails might just be under the delusion of a false economy.

I think what Don was pointing to was that the crisp racers edge of new sails dies away after perhaps one season. But those sails will be of decent service for some years to come. I have come to realize that s kippers trying to do any type of sailing with tired, but OK for cruising sails are really doing themselves and their boat a disservice.

Michael #133