[Public-List] Preparation for Summer 2011

Michael dickdurk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 05:18:26 PST 2011

about problem #3:

I'm not sure how you are rating precision; to me, that's pretty much a
function of screen size-the bigger, the better. What you really want are
infinitely adjustable brilliance, sea (clutter), rain, and gain
controls-twist knobs for those, in other words. The click button push
pads are really annoying, again, to me.
FWIW Furuno is really the industry leader in tugboat (they also require
small units, although the main one I use is a 21"(screen size) monster
with all the bells and whistles, ARPA, AIS overlay, etc.) radars.
Excellent ergonomics. Si-Tex would be lowest on my list, because the
electronics I have from them have really obscure adjustment controls
(Hold down button #1 &#4, while pressing Button #3 etc.). Hopefully,
they are changing that.
The one optional feature I would look for is tracking. Really, the most
useful thing in radar plotting is calculating Closest Point of Approach,
and tracking makes that a snap. That's if you are really going to use
the thing for something besides finding channel entrances in fog, which,
best as I can tell, is what most yacht types use it for.
There are probably few things in life as personal as the operator and
his radar preferences, so all this goes with a grain of salt.

MichaelGrosh