[Public-List] Preparation for Summer 2011

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Fri Jan 14 07:21:52 PST 2011

Richard,  it's great to hear from someone who has been there.  I like your
storm tactic of hunkering down and letting it pass.  Any thoughts on using a
storm anchor (off the bow) versus a drogue (off the stern)?

-----Original Message-----
From: public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.org
[mailto:public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.org] On Behalf Of Richard Mair
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:15 PM
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
Subject: Re: [Public-List] Preparation for Summer 2011

ON the Main  We bought ours from Shoreline Sails in Toronto. It is a Rolly
Tasker sail and we are able to put in 2 reefs without leaving the
cockpit.,and we still have the sliding boom.This can be done with any main
by the way the lower slides are attached.I recommend 3 reef points as we
only got 2 and wish we had 3.It would be a lot better than having to set the
try sail.

The radar we have a stand alone unit from (I forget the brand but can look
when we are next at the boat)..It works great with the antenna mounted on a
pole at the stern and it does not have to be in the center.Very useful on
the east coast all the way down to NC..

We use a 150 head sail also offshore weight on furling. It worked well for
us along with a drifter for when it is really light..

We have a storm jib that we had intended to attach to a heavily reinforced
pad eye on the foredeck about half way between the bow and cabin just flying
with Hilliard tension..We have never used it..all our bad weather has been
offshore and we take down all sails and deploy a Jordan series Drogue and
wait for it to pass..

This is the way we went across to the Azores,Canaries,and back via the west
indies.I think about 12000 nm.
  609 Into The Blue.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:18 PM, <elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
> Elyse and I just returned from our 2-day visit of the Toronto Boat Show -
> the largest in Canada.
> How lucky we were to meet with Gordon Laco representing his products for
> the
> 9-day show. "Gordon - it was great seeing and chatting with you again -
> thanks!!!"
> The preparation of our "LADY HERON" was our main objective visiting the
> show. Our plan is to make her ready for the July 2011 voyage from Montreal
> to St-Pierre et Miquelon (near Newfoundland) and back - an estimated total
> of about 1500nm.
> It is organized as a small flotilla and considered to be the trial of
> the 2012 Atlantic crossing - something we will talk to you early next
> The reason of our writing today - we want your help and advise regarding
> the sails etc..
>  The first problem we have with
> the present set-up:
> 1.) The adaptation of the 1st and 2nd reef is too
> complicated and requires too many manual adjustments. The reason to this
> problem
> is - the boom is on a sliding track. When the main sail is in 100% - no
> problem. If we want to take the 1st reef, it is required to remove
> one slide from the "STRONG Sail Track and Slide System" in order to bring
> the reefing location to the
> appropriate height. For the second reef, it is required to remove another
> slide
> including the slide with the first batten (in total 3 slides). All this is
> quite difficult considering the weather is getting worse for the 1st
> and 2nd reefing.
> Our idea is as follows:
> 1.) Remove the sliding track of the boom and install the boom fix to the
> mast at its lowest position (how shall we do that and install/fix the boom
> to the mast???).
> 2.) Extend the "STRONG Sail Track and Slide System" of the main sail all
> the way down to the new
> position of the boom (about 18" long).
> We expect that this will allow us to set the 1st and 2nd
> reef without touching any of the slides.
> Our second problem:
> 1.) We presently have only our main sail and a 120 Jib. The main sale
> needs to be replaced while the 120 is almost new.
> Our idea is as follows:
> 1.) To get the new main sale with 2 reefs (or 3???)
> 2.) To get a 160 for soft wind situations?!
> 3.) To get a 70 or 80 storm jib?!
> 4.) Install/construct an inner forestay to allow the placement of the
> storm jib (and how to do it???).
> Our third problem:
> The St-Lawrence
>  River is known for its
> fog and therefore requires a radar for safe navigation. We have received
> contradictory information as to where the radar should be installed (the
> mast
> or the backstay). Because we have the Standard Horizon 180i GPS, the only
> compatible radar manufacturer would be "SI-TEX" (we consider Model MDS-8).
> Another solution would be the stand-alone unit by FURUNO (Radar Model 1623
> includes its own display unit).
> The last unit (and in my opinion the most precise radar) would be the
> LOWRANCE which has the most precise radar system available. However, if we
> would purchase this radar, we also would have to purchase another GPS
> (Approximately $1,000 more then any of the other systems).
> Considering this, we would like to have some advice from anybody who can
> help us or owners who have done this. We certainly look forward to all the
> information and to better ideas.
> Thanks in advance
> Bruno & Elyse
> Lady Heron 297
> _______________________________________________
> These businesses support your Association:
> http://www.alberg30.org/store/A30supporters.html
> Please support them.
> _______________________________________________
> Public-List mailing list
> Public-List at lists.alberg30.org
> http://lists.alberg30.org/listinfo.cgi/public-list-alberg30.org
These businesses support your Association:
Please support them.
Public-List mailing list
Public-List at lists.alberg30.org


More information about the Public-List mailing list