[Public-List] foredeck compression, (and bedding deck hardware)

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Thu Jan 20 07:08:41 PST 2011

Thanks Kirk,

Good old 148 has decks w/ 3 layers of FG and 2 of Masonite so I am thinking
it would be a rough job trying to chop out the core with a bent nail or
Allen wrench.  I think it would be important to have the deck overlap the
epoxy sleeve so there is a horizontal joint between the two (at the bottom
surface of the deck layer).  That would allow the base of the fitting to
compress the only joint where water could get into the deck cavity (assuming
the sleeve dosen't crack from over tightning of the bolt).

How about this for masonite decks; 1) drill the mounting holes from the top,
2) get a small diameter hole saw with the same diameter mandrill as the top
drilled hole, 3) drill the hole saw up from below to the bottom of the top
layer of FG (apply some kind of restrainer to prevent hole saw from going
too far), 4) knock out the cylinder and scrape off the bottom of the top FG
layer, 5) install backer plate (I use Micarta and epoxy with adheasive
filler added), 6) fill holes with epoxy from the top (just to the bottom
side of the deck layer so you can register the drill bit), 7) redrill the
holes thru the new sleeve and backer plate, 8) make a slight bevel in the
top of the hole, 9a) goop and bolt lightly then come back and bolt more (so
goop forms an "o" ring around the shaft, or 9b) put rubber "o" ring on the
bolt shaft and goop and bolt.

No runs, no drips, no errors (maybe).

Best,

Roger 148