[Public-List] foredeck compression, (and bedding deck hardware)

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Jan 20 12:05:00 PST 2011

Hi Mike -

Sorry I glossed over that.

I found that when I removed the cast bronze fairing, there was nothing but a
raggedly cut hole beneath for the rudder shaft to come up through.  I made
the hole smooth and round, and sealed the edges of the otherwise exposed
plywood with epoxy.   It was clear that the beginning of the core problem
had been water getting past the casting and working its way into the balsa
core.

The casting was 'bedded' using rubber washers around each of the four bolt
holes... There was no protection for the core so I reckon it started going
bad many years ago.

Gord  #426 Surprise