[Public-List] Cockpit Floor

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 06:44:47 PST 2011

Mel,

Balsa works well if you have compound curves in the surface that you are recoring. Balsa is traditional and I believe fine if set in Epoxy resin and carefully sealed where there are any penetrations. My thought, because this is such a small area and relatively flat would be to use a non-wooden coring material. Coosa, Kluecell, polyfoam, etc. I prefer Coosa and most vendors will sell you a half sheet. It comes in 4 x 8 foot sheets and different compression ratings. One doesn't want to do their entire upper decks with this because of the weight gain, but the lower and smaller cockpit sole done with Coosa would not add that much weight. Then you could decide later where to put your hatch and know that you are cutting thru a solid core material anywhere you cut the hole.

Epoxy resins are superior to use for repairs to weathered and older polyester surfaces. You must paint the Epoxy surface for UV protection and to make it the color you wish. Colored or clear Gelcote will not adhere to Epoxy only to Polyester surfaces.

Michael #133