[Public-List] Atomic 4 water in the engine [was Re: atomic 4]

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Thu Jul 28 18:04:05 PDT 2011

 > Message: 4
 > Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:50:20 -0400
 > From: Mike Lehman <Sail_505 at hotmail.com>
 > To: "Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all"

Mike,

Two comments on your engine problem and the responses:

(1) I had to clear my engine of water after it filled with (fresh) water
a few years ago. It was a joint-stupidity, a I forgot to re-connect a
cooling hose with a path to the through-hull, and the normally highly
expert guy who launched it failed to check the bilge before going to
lunch. At least it was left in the slings, water almost up to the
cushions in the cabin, big mess etc. At that time I learned from an
experienced mechanic that, under my circumstances it would (and did!)
take 6 or more oil changes to clear the milk-like oil/water mix. Run it
only a 5-10 seconds on the first change, and a little longer after each.
Not sure how much that would apply to your engine, but you can crank
with the starter with the water disconnected, or it's OK if you only run
it 10-20 seconds at a time, enough to circulate and mix up the goo so
you can drain it. My fairly extensive experience with A-4 cooling
problems has taught me that if the top of the cylinder head is <  about
220F no damage will occur, except maybe to the water pump. So the old
"lick your finger" and see if it steams has worked for me as an early
warning for overheating problems while testing (in cases where the
temperature gage is inop or there is no water flow).

(2) New Atomic-4 engine blocks, as well as built-up short blocks have
just become available in the past month or two from Don Moyer at Moyer
marine, so you do have some options if you have the ambition to rebuild,
or transfer most of the engine accessories over the winter....

Don is very helpful when people call him, would definitely suggest you
call before pulling the engine if you have questions not addressed on
his bulletin boards.

www.moyermarine.com

I just finally finished solving a series of fuel system and intermittent
ignition system problems, so I am hoping to get in some more sailing,
only out 3 times so far this year...

Good luck!

--Dan S.
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates
403 Highgate Road