[Public-List] bolt at top of mast/Main halyard jaming

Sid Harrell sidharrell at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 18:03:55 PDT 2011

When I had my mast off last year I considered the fix described on page A-2 of the Alberg 30 Maintenance Manual since the wire part of my halyard had jammed beside the sheave. Instead I inserted shims between the Guide Plate and the slot cut in the mast and bent over and held in place under the small plates by the existing sheet metal screws. It took some experimenting and adjusting to get them tight without dragging on the sheave.

I'm  also now careful to not pull the rope portion into the sheave (I attach the snap shackle to the spinnaker pole 'eye' on the track on the mast) and to keep tension on the wire when attaching and removing it from the headboard.

Sid and Philomena Harrell
Reverie, Hull # 21
Oriental, NC