[Public-List] Water in oil in Atomic 4

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sat Jul 30 08:21:12 PDT 2011

From: mr smith <jungsters3 at yahoo.com>
> To: public-list at lists.alberg30.org
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 03:16:24 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: [Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 2129, Issue 1
> Message: 2
>
> dan,
>
> yikes...water up to the cushions...thats some kinda nitemare...so, i'm
> in for a few oil changes...whats the quickist/less messy way as i have
> not changed the oil yet...someone suggested the drain on the pan but i
> ca'nt even en see it(the pan)...& not much room to get a container
> underneath to hold 5 quarts...unless i pull the fly wheel
> assembly...can i suck it through the  oil fill tube as the dip stick
> one is rather small...electric fuel or water pump?...mike

Mike,

I think the reference to the drain plug in the oil pan refers to the
location where there was originally a hand pump, low on the port side of
the engine behind the carb. I still have the old hand pump for the oil,
and it works well for me. It has a pipe thread plug into the block, but
I was only able to remove the top of the hand pump itself, and I
continue to use that, but most people have removed it, I think. Moyer
marine sells a kit (www.moyermarine.com, search oil change kit, then
scroll about halfway down that page) for about $40 that threads in that
opening, or you can probably dip a tube down in there with a hose
clamped to it, their picture is self-explanatory.

That location seems to be the preferred pump out port, though I have
heard of people going in through the dipstick hole. You can use a cheap
drill pump or a hand pump. The "boat department" (such as it is) at K
Mart sells a hand pump for about $10 that I use when I need to pump gas
out of the tank...

The mechanic had suggested to me to buy the biggest jugs of the cheapest
oil you can find for this job, probably at K Mart or Wal Mart. If the
oild is mikly looking it will take a lot of changes, f there is much
less water, probably less.

Again, good luck!

--Dan S.

dans at stmktg.com