[Public-List] Help water leak!

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Jul 2 10:48:37 PDT 2011

Ted,

On 7/2/11 1:24 PM, Ted Liszczak wrote:
> All,
> I have owned A-345 for thirty years. When the boat was launched this
> year, water accumulates in the bilge. So much that every three days it
> comes up to the battery boxes. Prior to me owning the boat the boat
> broke its mooring and the keel struck rocks and needed fiberglass repair
> (1 square foot). I have read the A-30 threads of water coming in from
> the keel. The boat yard has looked at all through hull fittings, the
> stuffing box and they wonder if water is getting in the cutlass bearing?
> Has anyone had that much seepage from the cutlass bearing? I don't want
> to replace everything, without a guarantee to fix the leak.

If the water is coming in the cutless bearing, it's easy to spot.  Use a
flashlight and examine where the shaft enters the packing gland.  There
should be no water dripping when the boat is at rest.

If you see water dripping there, then tighten the stuffing box.  You
might be able to stop it, but check that it drips slightly when the
engine is running.  The flax/shaft bearing is cooled by the water unless
you use the clay packing
(http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/).

Whenever I launch the boat, I check for leaks before leaving the
vicinity of the travel lift.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org