[Public-List] Advice on bring a lake kept Alberg 30' to the Bay area (David Glotfelty)

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Wed Jul 6 16:41:26 PDT 2011

I bought a freshwater/lake A-30 and brought it to salt water.  A few thoughts:

Oh, I should mention that I'm a freshwater native, so some of my general comments are based on experience with a number of boats in fresh water.

1) I've found freshwater boats (which are also usually "up north" boats) to be in better than average condition with much less corrosion.  After spending some years in salt water (especially in southern climes), I can see why.  BUT, a biggie up north is how is the boat stored in winter.  Boats left uncovered in winter don't get all of the "fresh water" advantages, since they weather snow/water/freezing/thawing all winter long.  OTOH, there is nothing better for a fiberglass boat hull/bottom than to spend time out of the water in a dry climate (and winter is usually very low humidity).

2) My A-4 had raw (fresh) water cooling.  At first I thought I would immediately convert to fresh water cooling, and keep it "pristine" inside.  But then I changed my mind.  Not only was the kit expensive, but it would add bulk/complexity in the engine compartment, and with a ~50 year "head start" of fresh water, even if it began to corrode in say, 20 years (after all, saltwater A-4's seem to have gone 20+ years).... well I know they last a long time but maybe I would be ready for a re-power by then.  That's not to say I might not ever change my mind or that I think that's the only choice.  Just another viewpoint.

3) I have found that many freshwater boats have metal parts here and there that are not really up to snuff.  Probably because they can get away with it in fresh water.  So maybe some fasteners here or there, or non-stainless hose clamps.  That kind of thing.  Or, for example, my A-30 still had all its original gate valves for seacocks (and actually they were not in bad condition); whereas more saltwater boats would probably already have converted.  Also, there are a number of yards in "lake" areas that typically only handle smaller runabouts and the like, and so they may have done some maintenance or systems "upgrades" that are not as "big boat" or saltwater compatible as you might like them to be.  Most of this can be upgraded of course.

My A-30 was in great shape and had been covered (and on the hard) every winter, so this is not to put you off a "lake" boat at all.  It was a great advantage in things such as aluminum port frames in excellent condition, 25-year-old Awlgrip that was still glossy and bright, etc.

Rachel
ex-#221