[Public-List] Atomic IV oil leak

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 17 12:57:05 PDT 2011

Gord

While it has been a while since I have been owned by an Atomic 4 I do remember this problem.  The pump has to be bolted tight to the engine with a good gasket.  A smear of Permatex on the gasket helps to seal this area.  Also there is an oil seal on the shaft, if this is leaking the oil would be coming from the weep hole between the flange and the pump itself.

Your engine being lake cooled will probably withstand a bit more tightening torque than the sea water cooled ones.

Good luck.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei

"Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from the encampment."
US Army Field Regulations - 1861