[Public-List] oil change

vmarmei vmarmei at axis-design.org
Sun Jul 31 11:14:40 PDT 2011

Hi Fellows....
I once, way back, flooded my Volvo Diesel engine with water while
running and tuning the valves of the motor on my driveway.
The water came into the engine from the top through the 1/2 open
valves...I went for lunch and left the water hoses connected to the
cooling intake with the tap open and the hose pressure on. (+/- 30 psi)
When I came back the water was flowing (little and slowly) out from
the air intake....The engine was completely sized up because of the
water in the cylinders and the crankcase. Water in the bilge just
below the floor boards....2 inches below the battery tops.

Solution:

After you get over the Shock and start thinking.

1. Turned water off.
2. Removed both Injectors and cranked the engine around by hand
squirting the water out from the cylinders. Also pumped most water
out from the crankcase until oil started to show up. Water is down
and oil floats on top
3.Replaced Injectors.
4 Started the engine and ran the engine for 10/15 seconds....stopped engine.
5. Pumped the oil/water milkshake out from the engine.
6.Bought 6 quarts of CHEAP "Non detergent oil". Gives you
lubrication...Kerosene not so much.
7. Changed the oil in the engine 3 times (2l each time) after running
the engine for 30 seconds - 60 seconds and 3rd change for 2 minutes.
Also, after each oil change I keep 1-1/2 liters of contaminated oil
in a Clear 2l.Coke plastic bottle for the oil and water to settle and
show me the oil condition inside the engine.
8. The 3rd oil change showed no water residue in it
9.Next morning I replaced the cheap oil with proper Heavy Duty 15W40
Diesel Oil....the engine has ran  faithfully ever since.... no problems.
The Volvo Diesel is a great engine....mine has ran for over 35 years
without any problems or trouble....
Mind you...you have to oil,grease and love the engine at all times
...Not as much as you love your own wife but very close to same.
You can also run a cold engine for up to 3 minutes without any
water....provides that the water pump impeller is lubricated with Vaseline.

So fellow Albergers....Just REMEMBER....when you wife call you for
lunch....Do NOT forget to close the water tap.

William
A-30 618/641