[Public-List] Re-fitting Hull 388

J B Knapp jbknapp at yancyd.com
Mon Jun 13 11:41:44 PDT 2011

Well, our A30 (Hull 388) has become a project boat.  It is part of my
Sea Scout Ship in The Houston/Conroe area of Texas.  It is currently
berthed on Lake Conroe and has been sitting there for a number of
years.  Over the last few weeks, I have put out the idea of re-fitting
it for one of three uses.  To this point, the adults have been
supportive of the idea, though I think they may start having second
thoughts once the dollar signs look to be more of a reality.  But at
least the bones are good and it can be re-fitted for any use we want.

It is currently without an engine, the spreaders look like they may be
original, the standing rigging looks to be in good shape - but that will
remain to be seen once we step the mast, there is at least one soft spot
on the deck, all the life line stanchions are loose, and probably leak,
the chain plates are an unknown, all running rigging will need to be
replaced, no instrument on board works, the electrical will have to be
totally re-done, we will go ahead and remove all deck hardware and
re-seat, same the windows, all exterior bright work needs to be brought
back up to Bristol shape, though it appears to be in solid shape except
for the stern toe rail.  We will need to take it out of the water and
replace all thru-hulls.  The interior is in pretty descent shape and we
do use it for sleeping at the lake.  There are some things with the
interior I would like to do, but don't know if it will be practical to
do them, or if they might too much to the time, effort and cost of the
project.  It will need to be painted, above and below the waterline. We
would also be putting on some new hardware - I'd like to have some two
speed, self-tailing winches.

I am giving the ship three options to consider for the level of the re-fit.

The first option would be to keep the boat on Lake Conroe - an area that
is really too small for the boat, but much more convenient to us.

The second would be to re-fit it to sail in Galveston Bay where it would
essentially be a day sailor and any overnighting would be at a marina.
Where we would berth it would also effect teh re-fit.  If we were to
keep it at a place like the Houston Yacht Club, Watergate or Lakeside
Yacht Club, then it would be in fairly salty water.  If it were berthed
at South Shore Marina, the water there is brackish, but more fresh than
salt.  Berthing at South Shore would require a 45 min or longer motoring
to the bay, Lakeside and Watergate about 15 minutes and HYC about 5 minutes.

The third option would be to re-fit it as a coastal cruiser for sailing
along the Texas to Florida Gulf coast.  That creates a full different
set of needs than the previous two, but some of which build upon the
other.  If we do a Bay sailor, we would have the marine radio, depth,
speed, compass and wind indicator gauges, but that would be about all
the instrumentation we would do.  For the lake - a compass and maybe a
depth gauge.  For coastal cruising, we would add a chart plotter with
GPS and probably radar and maybe an autopilot.

The first thing we will have to do is get a trailer and and a place to
work on it.  We can keep it at the club we where it currently is, but
then we would have to be hauling tools back and forth - not efficient.

One of the first things we have to decide on is what type of engine to
have as axillary power.  I have pretty well decided that I want to go
ahead and repower it with an electric motor.  I have no real desire to
become an engine or diesel mechanic at this time in my life.  And in
thinking about electric propulsion, I am going to encourage this project
to become a "green" project and re-fit it as a "green" boat as much as
is practical from a resource and money stand point.  This means all
lighting will be LED, the current head will be replaced with a
composting or similar head - and only if re-fitted for cruising,
otherwise tear the head out and use a porta-potty if a head is desired
(probably not on the lake, but probably for the Bay).  The bottom paint
will be chosen according to the sailing environment.  Any thru-hull not
needed will be removed and filled in.

If the ship doesn't buy into this project and support it, I am likely to
take it on myself and re-fit from my own pocket.  I am looking forward
to this with excitement, fear, and uncertainty.  Any thoughts, ideas,
experiences, suggestions for equipment, parts, etc. that you are willing
to send my way will be appreciated.  Just hope I won't experience
information overload.

Bart Knapp
Skipper Sea Scout Ship 777
SSS Vagabond
Hull 388 (to be renamed Sea Eagle or Iolair Mwhara)