[Public-List] Spinnaker pole topping lift location

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 18:19:13 PDT 2011

I have most of the bits now for a spinnaker, but there isn't a topping lift for the spinnaker - there is a spinnaker halyard installed and ready, but not the lift.  Does one usually install a topping lift from the top of the mast or from part-way up, and if part-way up, is the mast strong enough for the load?  The down-haul I understand gets mounted just over the anchor loncher back wall so that it has something strong to attach to.

The sheets run back to the turning blocks on the rail - I probably need to add another set as the original jib blocks are too far forward and I'm using the spinnaker blocks for the jib-sheets.  I will have to choose between the spinnaker and the jib as I only have the one set of winches, and I don't expect I can manage the spinnaker without winches.

The only other thing I think I still need is a spinnaker sock - I will be flying it single handed most of the time and dousing it without a sock seems just about impossible.

Thanks,
Bill.