[Public-List] Preventer

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 15 07:20:11 PDT 2011

Glen wrote:
"This year I am going to install a stout block at the forestay fitting at the bow and run a long outhaul each side to boom out the main when off the wind. Humphrey Barton rigged his Vertue XXXV this way on his first transatlantic crossing and spoke highly of the ease of controlling the boom when flying a spinnaker short handed. Other early cruisers wrote about this method, so will give it a try in a few weeks. Might be a worthwhile addition for down wind sailing"

I have used a variant of this for years and have been quite happy with it.  I use a block at the bow and run a continuous line from quarter to quarter outside of everything.  The line is about 70 feet long for an A30.  I have a snap shackle at each end and transfer it depending on which tack I'm on.  I normally belay the preventer on the quarter cleat.  I don't set it up hard, just remove the slack.  To flatten the sail, use a vang (you also want to be sure that if things go wrong and the main gybes it can't hit the backstay).

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei

"Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from the encampment."
US Army Field Regulations - 1861