[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 2094, Issue 3

Wcwinslow at aol.com Wcwinslow at aol.com
Wed Jun 15 08:21:16 PDT 2011

Now that we are on the subject of learning the hard way, I will share this.
My junior year in college I signed up at a summer camp in Boothbay to teach
sailing. The camp's boat were Arrows, 24' overall sloops with jib and
spinnaker. My sailing experience was concentrated in Beetle cats--single gaff
sail. Anyway, early in the season, with three kids aboard, we had set the
spinnaker and managed to keep it full for a long reach when it became time to
come into the dock for the next set of kids. I reasoned I could just sail up to
the dock and at the last moment tack into the wind just opposite the
dock--without taking down the spinnaker. I thought I could handle that balloon
like a jib. Well, I got to within ten feet of the dock and pushed the tiller
over smartly. And, of course, went ploughing mightily into the dock. Now, no
one of you has ever done that, have you?

William C. Winslow

In a message dated 6/15/2011 10:53:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,