[Public-List] roller furling

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 11 13:53:18 PST 2011

     Several questions have now arisen over roller furling and hank-ons,
racing efficiency and double forestay wires.
     To start with, two forestays will change the air on the foresail
from undisturbed to disturbed and will decrease performance appreciably.
They will also cause drag which, when you look up the texts, is also
appreciable. In my opinion, if you change from a furling to non-furling
system, you should be changing the wire of both the forestay and
backstay to even out the stretch of both wires at the same time. Any
wire behind (by 8" or 24" even)   the stay on the head of the boat, will
make tacking a sail in a reasonable time on the front wire almost
impossible if you want the sail in front of the second wire. Without
that, you will have some entry! (From what I saw of Jean du Sud this
summer, Yves second forestay is tied to his mast when not in use and
when in use there is no tacking sail on the forestay. He also has
running back stays to support the second forestay and they are in place
all the time, so another set of lines to get around, - in and out of the
cockpit. This is an ocean cruising rig with two sets of spreaders, and
speed is not the priority, getting there safely is so the mainsail is 12
oz cloth with three very reinforced corners, 2 for reefs for instance!)
      The name is a furling system, not a reefing system, and Larry has
it correct when he says  that you never sail with any reef in the
foresail. I have chosen a Harken system for the narrow leading edge and
have never noticed any lack of performance in races due to that system.
You will have much more power loss due to poor sail shape and wear from
age.  Most race sails should be not much older than 100 races to be
truly competitive, in my opinion and experience.
     I, too, have been able to keep up with big Beneteaus and attribute
that to a lack of desire on the other skipper to sail well or a boat
that will not move easily. I have never tried sailing one of them
though. It may also be the cut on the sail that is just poor for speed.
That is not the case on all Beneteaus though as some , like Kick-Em
Jenny, a 36-7, have done very well in the Heineken regatta.   I believe
that the big America's Cup boats have roller furling and that they are
prepared to give up the confused entry downwind from a rolled sail for
time to get it out of the way and back up over pulling it up and down.
   With smaller sails like ours, It becomes the skippers choice but is
also a factor of crew strength and frequency of sail changes and
conditions that you want to go forward to change sails in. I am not so
sure that I would have furling on a trans-Atlantic trip because I don't
think the connection of the head piece at the bow is sufficient to hold
the forestay and rolled foresail on in a blow that one will encounter on
the ocean. That fastening should be strengthened in my opinion whatever
the rig is for trans ocean sailing.
     One cannot make a new sail out of an old sail by changing the
leading edge either to or from hank-ons, or by adding Sunbrella® to the
leach and foot. It can be done,  so that you may continue to use sails
when you change from one system to the other. If you do change and have
several sails to adapt, (and it may be more to your liking after the
fact),   get one new sail and only one changed and you will enjoy
sailing that much more with the new sail.
Don #528