[Public-List] Rogers Bottom Job

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Fri Mar 18 06:57:39 PDT 2011

Hi Roger,

Firstly.............would like to apologize if you felt that I came down too hard on your plan to do the bottom of GO148.

In the past I have used polyester products to repair blisters and layup defects and previous collision damage. From what I have learned I would reconsider and use Epoxy resin based repairs.

In the past I have ground out all the damaged areas to sound material. Then wet out and strengthened the rough edges with a saturating coat of resin only. After that depending on how severe the damage is I would either layup new glass cloth to build up the lost material, or use a polyester resin with glass fibres mixed in to fill the loss. Finally I used a polyester patching compound to do the final fairing. This patching compound is more easily faired because it contains filler. At this point this is not structural but cosmetic fairing. West System and Casey have excellent reference materials on these processes.

I used Interlux Epoxy barrier coat in enough coats to achieve the required thickness recommended by the mfg. Since I was going back with an ablative paint I used black for the first two coats and then red for the final two coats.  This process allows you to visually detect when the bottom needs the paint refreshed. As or where the black begins to show through the red, one needs to reapply the red.  If you keep up with an ablative paint, via, regular inspection and reapplication only where needed you should never have to do a complete strip down again. This is the process I use for my salt water boat. An ablative paint is VERY forgiving to cleaning for reapplication and partial reapplications.

For my Alberg in fresh water I plan to use the new Coppercoat epoxy based bottom paint. Check out www.coppercoatusa.com . #133 currently has Interlux VC-17 on her bottom. This is a smooth hard paint which must be reapplied each time she is hauled to keep the biocide active. Unlike an ablative paint it will build up over the years and eventually need to be completely stripped of the bottom to begin the process all over again. Jim Edwards at coppercoat has suggested other barrier coats which he likes better than the Interlux 2000 series. These products are evolving all the time so it is best to check what is currently available. Jim Edwards is knowledgeable and I felt honest about what he would recommend for your particular boat and sailing environment.

This is in no way a specific plug for these products; it is just what I used on my different boats. Roger you will undoubtedly receive as many recommendations as responses to you request for information. Good luck in sorting it all out.

BTW, when is the splash date for Perfect Intentions?  I would enjoy to witness that if possible, keep us posted.

Michael #133