[Public-List] Gas vs Diesel (was: Alberg 30 FOR SALE)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Mar 5 07:21:30 PST 2011

William,

On 3/4/11 10:38 AM, vmarmei wrote:

> Sorry John....
> We are not interested in a gas engine....only a Diesel in a boat counts.

We thought so before buying a boat with an auxiliary.  But we bought a
boat with a gas engine anyway because we fell in love with the boat.

What I've noticed is that both gas and diesel engines have their plusses
and minuses.  If you're doing long distance motoring, then diesel has a
clear win based on cruising range.  If you're rarely using the engine,
then gas has an advantage with fewer fuel problems (though the addition
of greater amounts of alcohol may be reducing that advantage).

I know people who are contemplating replacing a diesel engine that's
younger than I've had our boat.  While any engine can (and will) give
trouble, it's far more likely that you'll be able to repair a gas engine
at anchor than a diesel.  (Those that cruise the Chesapeake Bay with me
will attest to my experience at this last point.)

My point is that everything about a boat is a compromise.  It always
depends on how you'll use the boat, as well as how big a factor cost is
to you.  Making flat statements may seem appropriate when you've already
made certain choices, but it does a disservice to those who don't know
the choices you've made.

  - George

P.S. Note the clever changing of the subject line. ;-)

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org