[Public-List] Head questions ...

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Thu Mar 10 10:27:28 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 08:16:08AM -0500, Gordon Laco wrote:
> > Some quick questions on installing heads.
> >
> > 1. Is there any reason to put the vented loop on the intake? I have never had
> > this before, but I have seen it on a few installations
> A vented loop here will inhibit the possibility of the intake siphoning
> water into the head's bowl through the valves of the flushing pump.  Boats
> have been flooded and sunk by this sort of thing.  The pump's valves are not
> intended to be proof against back flooding so the vented loop is protection
> against the time somebody forgets to close the sea cock after the head has
> been used.

Even the vented loop is no guarantee of anything. I've had the valve on
the vented loop stick when I've accidentally left the toilet's valve on
flush and the seacock open. Fortunately, the top of the bowl was still
above the waterline, and I was aboard to notice what was happening.

I've since switched to a composting toilet.

Cheers,
Kris

--
Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/