[Public-List] Roller Furling for Sale

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Fri Mar 11 10:07:48 PST 2011

To go back to a page discussion a few years ago, my PO put in roller furling
but only had 1 RF sail that was in bad shape.  I replaced it w/ a 170 from a
J-boat I bought at Bacons for $245. Looks to be in good shape and has really
cool collapsing battens but no UV strip at foot & leach.

(Sidebar: I was thinking of a way to hoist a small, separate triangle of
Sunbrella that I could wrap a few times around w/ the RF when back at the
dock; perhaps just a zippered sleeve, although that couldn't be tapered so
it would be too big at the head.  Heck, maybe just paint the foot & leach
with Interlux.)

I also have a working jib, and 130 that are in good shape but have hanks.
Rather than change those to bolt ropes, I thought of putting a second head
stay 8"+/- aft of the RF (I noticed "Jean Du Sud" has side by side head
stays which eliminates having to furl the forward headsail to tack but I
wonder if side by side impacts upwind performance?) This would allow one to
hank on a smaller sail, douse the RF sail and raise the smaller sail as the
wind increases, perhaps without leaving the cockpit.

Some "pagers" opined putting the optimum tension load on both head stays
would require doubling the tension and "banana" the boat; I checked with a
rigging guy who said the wind load on the active stay would cause the
inactive stay to sag thereby transferring all the tension load to the active
stay (still trying to wrap my head around the physics of that one).

So, what to do?  I'm thinking of making a removable "aft" head stay for my
hank on sails.  Make about a 30" SS or aluminum bar hinged to the aft hole
of the bow fitting and fastened to the deck at aft end.  Connect the head
stay (perhaps w/ a macho snap shackle; one of which I got for half price not
realizing how darn big it was) about 3" aft of the hinge for leverage.

In light air, disconnect aft head stay (w/ or wo/ sail hanked on) so the 170
doesn't need to be furled when tacking; wind picks up, connect the aft head
stay (and suffer thru furling during tacks) and switch to the smaller hanked
on sail at the appropriate wind speed.

What think you folks?

Roger 148