[Public-List] roller furling

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 11 15:55:18 PST 2011

Sorry John.
     I do not have reef points  parallel to the foot on any of my
foresails but commonly, some  think one could "reef" by rolling some
sail area onto the foil which, in my opinion,  is just not sailing
because of distorted draft position and a terrible entry with that mass
of cloth on the foil, so never contemplated here. Best have a good
cunningham if you are decreasing the luff though, and a way of
transferring the load at the clew to a clew higher up the sail than the
bottom clew on the foot. That shift may also necessitate changing track
position to the inside one as well, so a second set of sheets.
     Again, if you set up for it that way, it is do-able, but not
without thought and expense somewhere, including a heavier cloth,  so a
decision to abort performance and speed  in lighter air for getting
there safely, always the only decision for the conditions to be sailed in.
Don