[Public-List] Roller Furling for Sale

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Mar 11 19:26:08 PST 2011

Darrell

On 3/11/11 8:58 PM, darrell ezra wrote:
> just looking for education
> from what i gather its a matter of racing  vs crusing benefits

I like hank-ons for cruising due to their simplicity.  When I'm
single-handing or it's rough, I use a downhaul (1/4" line tied to the
top hank, led through a block at the stem and then back to the cockpit).

I've noticed that hank-on sails have a real advantage over roller
furling in very light air.  When it gets down to 5 knots or less, I can
still be drifting forward when the RF boats seem to have stopped.  Of
course, then they pass me under power, but that's another story.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org