[Public-List] Bent Rudder

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Mar 13 08:34:30 PDT 2011

Michael,

On 3/12/11 10:54 PM, Michael Taylor wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am having problems aligning the rudder on #231.  Having had several
> attempts at positioning the rudder post, gudgeon/pintles and lower
> pin relative to each other, I have been unable to mount the rudder so
> that it swings freely.
>
> There is a slight bend in the rudder blade which I assumed would
> straighten as the rudder turned however the bend is placing too big a
> load on the gudgeon and pintles.  I know now I have to take out the
> rudder blade bend.
>
> In the summer I attempted to straighten it by sitting a 200lb dead
> weigtht in the centre of the blade whilst supporting the ends.  After
> a few days I took the weight off only to have the blade bounce right
> back to its original bent position.  I attempted this a couple more
> times but again with no luck.
>
> I am wondering whether anyone has any ideas on a better method for
> straightening.  Perhaps put a bend into the blade on the opposite
> direction and glass the outside of the bend so that the new glass is
> under tension on straightening.  Anyway clutching at straws here as
> I'm starting to think I may be needing a new rudder.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

I'm reminded of work I've done in old buildings, and how using a level
and plum-bob resulted in walls that looked crooked and out of place.  I
wonder if the rudder would work well enough if you set the gudgeons to
match where the rudder wants to be rather than trying to align it with
the stern post and shoe.

Another thought: Perhaps you could take a photograph looking down the
leading edge of the rudder (off the boat) and next to a straight edge.
It might help us understand where is the misalignment.  As always, I'm
happy to post the photo on the website.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org