[Public-List] Bent Rudder

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 13 14:24:44 PDT 2011

Thanks for those thoughts everyone.  It is the rudder blade which is bent rather than the shaft or the way it is attached to the rudder.  My original plan was to work with what I had ie put it back the way it was.  The problem was that the bushing that fits the 'volcano' in the cockpit floor was never fixed in position.  It had been like this for years probably.  I wanted to have the rudder aligned properly which was one reason I removed the rudder.

I had to unbolt the rudder post from the rudder in order to remove it.  The rudder shaft was jammed inside the rudder tube.  The rudder shaft on #231 seems unusual as it is 1.5" diameter and is positioned right on the leading edge of the rudder.  I think it was only the early mahogany rudders that had this size shaft (mine is fibreglass).  So whether I left the rudder with or without splitting it,  I had a problem.

I will triple check that the bend I am seeing relative to straight edges on either side of the blade is 'real'.  I take your point George........  I will make sure.  I have had several attempts at fitting the post (bolted and epoxied back on) and other fittings so they align whilst it is obvious that the blade is out of true.  I have also tried putting the fittings back so that they follow the alignment of  the bent rudder blade thinking that everything will straighten when the fittings are fixed to the keel and cockpit 'volcano'.

Now I know why the rudder has never been aligned properly in place.  Hard to imagine anything could cause a bent blade while it was still on the boat.  The suggestion that the bronze strapping in  the rudder may need to be removed, then reinstalled may be the only way to go.

I will  try and forward a picture to George and perhaps get it on the web incase there are other suggestions.

I have taken an 8 month break from renovations as I was avoiding the rudder issue.  At this point another 8 seems quite appealing!

Thanks again

Mick
-