[Public-List] bottom sanding

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Wed Mar 16 10:51:54 PDT 2011

Albergers,

I have hired my marina to remove the bottom paint on good old 148 down to
the barrier coat the PO did a few rears before I bought the boat.  The
marina, used to working on power boats, recommends sanding the barrier coat
and/or gel coat w/ 36 grit claiming finer paper will get gummed up right
away from the left over paint after scraping.  I looked at other boats they
refinished and the bottoms are pretty rough w/ lots of orange peal.  I am
concerned that will slow down my race horse; after all, 1/4 of a knot means
a lot more at 5 knots than it does at 25.

I learned Practical Sailor is reporting on eco-friendly bottom paints this
month and figure, if I use one of those, I can sand between coats to achieve
desired smoothness.  Any suggestions?

Best,

Roger 148