[Public-List] crack repair and barrier costs

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Fri Mar 18 06:01:35 PDT 2011

Hi Michael,

I had to scrape vs. soda blast because the owner is selling the marina and
doesn't want to mess up the environmental assessments that start soon.  They
are about 1/2 through scraping GO148 and it turns out A) if he PO did a
bottom coat, he must have used really thin, invisible paint and, B) there
are several hair line and larger cracks in the gel coat which, although
added work, I am glad to have discovered since the boat will never be dryer
after 8 years on the trailer.

I am now researching blister/crack repair and barrier coats and would
appreciate any advice the "pagers" could provide.  I will go back to the
page archives as I am sure this isn't the first time this topic has come up.
I did find this weird web site http://www.epoxyproducts.com/barrier4u.html
with lots of information but poorly organized.

Best, Roger

PS - in defense of my "marina guy", he enjoys a good reputation and didn't
really mess up the other boat he showed me.  He just used a more lumpy
ablative paint.  He showed me another power boat that had some kind of
Teflon paint (VC 17?) that was much smoother; so smooth and slippery, he
said, the straps slipped when he lifted the boat with his crane.  Sounds
like "fast" stuff.