[Public-List] bottom sanding

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Fri Mar 18 06:14:24 PDT 2011

Hugh,

I know that you are taking this out of context to make a joke. Honestly sanding doesn't have to make such a mess if a vacuum arrangement is used to capture the debris. Most yards these days are required to do so.

I use a couple of steps to minimize the mess. First a metal scraper to chip away the thick or loose paint catching the debris onto tarps for proper disposal. Then when one begins the sanding with a vacuum attached there is only between 40 and 50% of the total mass of paint left to remove. This creates less total dust and requires fewer sanding discs. I had never heard of this Soy based paint stripping  product. So I learned something here...............sounds like that product has produced excellent results. Anyway, I prefer the final touch up to be a D.A. orbital sander with 120 paper. This is a fairing process combined with the final paint removal. Then the blister or collision or original layup defects can be addressed and then faired. Prior to the application of the barrier coat or bottom paint primer use a long board to fair out any other imperfections.

For me, the joy of sailing easily and fast has two major equipment components. Good sails and a smooth and clean bottom.  Once you have those two in place you can take years learning your boat and sail trim to improve boat speed even more.  Honest to GOD if you have been sailing with a foul bottom and poor sails, and then you were to improve just one you would see a quantum leap in performance. If you were to fair and clean the bottom and purchase new sails...............the next time you would go sailing you would swear that you are on a totally different boat!!!!  I guarantee it or your money back. Smiles.

Struggling for years with poor sails and a dirty bottom just sucks the ultimate joy which can be had in the sailing experience.

Michael #133