[Public-List] battery boxes

Mike Lehman Sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 31 08:47:10 PDT 2011

No surprises at all - the surveyor was really impressed with the boat, and
hinted that he would like to buy it. Since I did all of the plumbing and
electrical work, I expected something that was to 'code' but everything he
looked at he everything was professionally done, neat and conforms to all
current regulations. I anticipated that he was going to insist on an
automatic electric bilge pump...but after I went into my usual tirade about
the fact that my I work to keep water "out" of the boat...not how to get
water out that shouldn't be there in the first place, and in doing so I make
damn sure with regular inspections on all the hoses, clamps and thru-hull
fittings and valves, stuffing box, and whale gusher 10 manual pump that
there is no water in the boat, he was happy with that. It didn't hurt that
the bilges was completely dry. He agreed that if there was a problem, an
automatic pump would just mask the problem until the batteries went dead...I
pointed out that I did not need batteries to pump the boat out, only arms to
work the manual pump...I think he gave up on the idea of an electric pump.