[Public-List] Paint hull liner & deck #560

Bob Crinion bob at crinion.ca
Mon May 2 09:51:24 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I built a bow shaped shed for the refit of our boat and have
recored/glassed over the deck in a few areas, removed the teak toe rail
and refastened the hull deck joint so I am getting ready to paint the
deck of A30 # 560 with the main areas done except how to deal with the
hairline cracks in the deck gelcoat.

How do you repair the hairline cracks? They are only hairline cracks in
the gelcoat only. I have used a moisture meter & tapping hammer
everywhere on the deck to try and find wet spots and think I have that
part beat.

If anyone has found a Dremel tool part that made this easy send me the
part number!

What kind of fillers have you used to make this an easier job?

Also I have removed all deck hardware and windows. As a result of
removing all deck/cabin hardware it has left me with the idea to paint
the inside cabin liner. The inside color of the liner is some almond or
light yellowish color. Since a lot of stuff is out of the way...

Does anyone know what color this is and what would be a good match using
Brightsides or Interlux Perfection?

(I am very color challenged)

The inside of the hull liner is not in bad shape, maybe there is some
other spiffy way to clean it up versus painting it. I'm open to
suggestions!

Since I have the 36 year old 3/16" plastic windows removed I would like
to replace them with new stuff.

Has anyone replaced their windows with 1/4'' instead without any gotchas
or problems and used tinted ones?

Is the original windows Plexiglas or Lexan?

Once the deck is done, the idea at this point is to use Alexseal to
attempt a roll and tip job of the hull is next on our list.

Thanks,

-bob