[Public-List] Portlights

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue May 3 13:55:36 PDT 2011

1/4" SS window frames; I'm jealous!

-----Original Message-----
From: public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.org
[mailto:public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.org] On Behalf Of Greg Bover
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 4:55 PM
To: 'List A-30'
Subject: [Public-List] Portlights

Another thing I remembered: when I had everything out and the openings
cleaned out, I rough-sanded the edges of the openings and painted on some
West System epoxy with an acid brush in hopes of sealing the core, (masonite
on my boat).
I can't find it now, but I remember reading a very strongly worded set of
directions that argued against letting the silicone set up and then doing
the final tightening. The author maintained that doing it in this fashion
would break the seal around and under the machine screw heads and introduce
leakage at that point. I went so far as to lightly countersink my
frames(which thanks to the PO are 1/4" stainless) and to put a little caulk
around the underside of every screw head and then tightened all at once.
Obviously lots of ways to skin this particular cat

Greg Bover
Frances Fitch
Linnet #114
Gloucester