[Public-List] Stiff Main Sheave

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat May 14 04:40:47 PDT 2011

Hi Brennan,

If the uppers are on the same bolt there is no safe way to do this work
aloft.

Do yourself a favour and take the stick down, much easier than working
aloft.

Take everything apart, give it all a good cleaning, inspect the wire
terminals etcetera and put the stick back up.

Ending up in a wheelchair to save a few bucks at a mast hoist is not worth
the risk.

Up here in Canada we pull and put up our sticks annually and I suspect our
rigs are in much better shape because of it. Its really quite easy. A pain,
I know taking the sails off and all, but with the stick down the work is
fairly straightforward.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Best of luck.

John