[Public-List] Main sheave update

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Wed May 18 11:41:27 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:55:40PM -0400, John Riley wrote:
> Yes, the psychological factor is a prime motivator here.  But it cuts
> both ways.  That is, once down, does the mast go back UP?
>
> Consider the case of a good friend of mine who lowered the mast of his
> Pearson Ariel (A-30's little sister) to make a single repair.  That was
> about 5 years ago, and his mast is still not back up.  He got into the
> endless cycle of "well, while I have it down, I might as well ..."
> (coupled with the realities of available time to complete said projects
> while earning a living).

Yeah, that's a condition that only affects people who don't take their
masts down often enough. If the stick is down every year or two, then
it's a _lot_ easier to decide "that can wait until the next time it's
down". Besides, when you notice that something needs to be worked on,
that work will almost invariably involve picking up some parts or
materials; if the repair isn't urgent, then you can get those parts and
materials ready for the next unstepping after putting the stick back up
and getting back out on the water.

I take my stick down annually, think almost nothing of it, and
frequently decide that upgrades, minor repairs, etc. can either wait
until next year, or be done when it's back on the step.

Cheers,
Kris

--
Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/