[Public-List] Adding weight to the keel and other things

Len Payne lenpayne at bresnan.net
Mon May 2 14:10:27 PDT 2011

Hi, Dan,

If the 1000 of lead is above the waterline, you really don't want it there.
If you can move it to the centerline, as far below the waterline as possible, and SECURE it ........
>From what I understand, you want additional weight as near the center of gravity (fore and aft), on the centerline, and as low as possible.
What is your displacement? Even in an A-30, 1000# would be more than 10% additional. Personally, I don't think I'd go more than 5% over the design displacement anyway.

Thanks for the comments posted thus far.
After talking with Roger, reading comments, and thinking about the situation,  ...... cleaning the sides of the keel, using epoxy to attach faired lead plates to the sides of the keel, a few inches above the bottom, and thru-bolting the plates, seems like the way to go.
I am not concerned with "rating" since the boat is yawl-rigged anyway. Would it make a difference having the lead on the keel or laid in the bilges, as far as the 'rating'? If it does not affect the rating to lay ingots in the bilges, why would it affect the rating to attach it to the keel? The one A-30 with a lead keel - what is her rating relative to the rest?
Len